9.25.2011

[The Third Blog] Force.


       This afternoon, as a break from homework, I decided to clean my room.  After folding my clothes and putting some things away, I was in the mood to rearrange the little bit of furniture that I have...yet again. My room is the smallest in our house (why, I ask?), so I'm always trying to find an arrangement that uses the space I have most effectively.  As I was moving things around, I realized that physics could be applied to what I was doing. Amongst other things, my little Sunday afternoon project demonstrated Newton's third law of motion - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction: as I pushed forward against my bed to move it, it was also pushing back against me with the same force. Thanks to physics, I was also aware of the specific forces that were acting on my bed throughout the process. When at rest, the bed experienced forces of gravity & normal force (which counteract each other) as well as static friction. As I began to push on the bed, though, while gravity and normal force were still being applied, the force of my push was also added, and static friction became kinetic friction, which worked against my applied force. I also learned that the force of static friction is greater than that of kinetic friction, which is why it was harder to get my bed to move initially than it was to keep it moving. Well, without further ado, here is the result of my physics-filled project (not very exciting, I know, but that's okay.):

I should have done a before/after type of thing, but that thought didn't
really occur to me until everything was moved - whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment